Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for a New Perspective

I am truly blessed. I have an amazing family, and all of my needs are met along with many of my wants. My very own version of the American Dream is in full swing, yet I can be such a Debbie Downer when things aren’t perfectly smooth. Most of my life I’ve been waiting for what’s next and striving for more. In high school I thought about college and choosing a major. In college I wanted to get married and begin my career. During my first few jobs I was always on the search for the next best thing.

Life is messy and hard, but ironically that’s also the beauty of it when put into perspective. Shame on me for not always being able to see the bigger picture. I’m determined to work on living in the moment and appreciating things for what they are. This is life. It’s going on right now, and I certainly don’t want to take it for granted. I must stop looking for what's next or what's to come and instead look at what's right in front of me. I’m trying to see things differently and turn the challenges of everyday life into situations I’m thankful for.

Bedfellow
My husband and I often have a visit from our daughter in the middle of the night. Sometimes she never even makes it to her bed at all. She doesn’t yet know three’s a crowd especially when she insists on bringing a few of her favorite lovies. There will come a day when we’ll want to give anything in the world to have her sleeping between us. For now, it’s not hurting anything so I want to be grateful for each and every snuggle.

Anti-potty
My very intelligent toddler has decided to be completely disinterested in anything related to the potty unless it’s on her terms. It’s a control thing, and it drives me crazy. A wise friend told me that strong-willed children are better equipped to resist peer pressure later in life. I’ll buy that logic!

Short-order cook
Like clockwork, my daughter doesn’t want to eat what I prepare for dinner. Last night she said, “My tummy’s not feeling this. I want something else.” I really try to balance accommodating her tastebuds without responding to every whim. At the end of the day she’s a girl who knows what she wants and is not afraid to ask for it.

Let it snow
A few weeks ago I noticed it was a little too quiet and walked into the living room to find my daughter sprinkling milk on the couch, the entertainment center, the recliner, her kitchen, her train table and our dog, Shelby. I was furious. She was so proud. I asked her why in the world she would do such a thing, and she said she wanted to see it snow. By the end of the night I knew I had an extremely clean living room and a very creative and resourceful child!

Here’s to living in the moment and being grateful for it all. Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment